Monday, September 14, 2015

American Rehab: Restoring Victoria with Shalina Joy

Victoria
Wait til you see the inside.
Wed., Sept. 16th
10pm - Mid. EST
DIY Network

I'll stop short of telling you all to watch American Rehab: Restoring Victoria.  I'm only going to report that I watched it, loved it, and am excited to see the next two episodes this week.  Shalina Joy is the Newark, New Jersey homeowner and she affectionately calls her 6,000 sqft. rehab Victoria.  She speaks lovingly about her 'baby' as if the house is a dear member of her family... just one of the things that makes her series of American Rehab special from the start. 
 
Although the Mediterranean Revival-Style house is amazing, I think Shalina is the real star as she leads everyone through her renovation.  She's full of a palpable mixture of hope for what she might find and enthusiasm for what she can appreciate already with her own eyes.  Like our TV House, Victoria has been added onto and modified over the last ten decades and I totally enjoyed watching Shalina discover what couldn't be seen when she took ownership.  Obviously, I'm looking forward to what else she might find.
 
Finally, one of my favorite parts of the first show was when Shalina got a surprise visit from someone who'd lived in the home years back.  This is a poignant moment and we're fortunate the cameras were there to capture it.  Seeing this side of the rehabber quickly made me a fan. 
 
I'm not telling any more, you have to tune in Wednesday and meet Shalina and Victoria for yourselves. 

2 comments:

  1. I am catching that episode right now. I love her show as well. Very down to earth in every way. Like how you featured her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the kitchen renovation!! So beautiful so far!

    ReplyDelete