Wednesday, September 16, 2015

American Rehab: Detroit

Chris holding The Photo.
Thurs., Sept 17th
8:30 - 11am
DIY Network


I was totally jammed up when American Rehab Detroit originally aired at the end of January because we were knee deep in the filming of our own project.  I watched/enjoyed the shows, but didn't squeeze in a post to tell why I liked ARD.
 
First off, Christopher Lee's story is an example of what I think might just be the best reason to renovate an extremely run down home:  a family connection to the property.  The home featured on the show that he now shares with his wife Amy, was built by/for his ancestors in the early Twentieth Century and ultimately they lost it in the Great Depression.  I think this story is timely since, as a nation, we just lived through the real estate turn down and the Great Recession.  In a way like never before, we can all better imagine how Chris' kin lost this house. 
 
Secondly, the picture shown above really get's me.  I don't want to overblow things and say, "This is what it's all about,"  but I see the significance and I look at it as a home renovator myself while I think, "That's a big moment right there."  He's holding the old photo of his family in the same spot in the house right about where the photographer was positioned.  He has a satisfied smile on his face with Amy proudly standing behind him.  Great pic.
 
Finally, without spoiling anything in the show, I want to share a third thing I love about American Rehab Detroit and the couple's story.  There's a moment in the intro, when Chris says, "I just thought, why not?"  He just made up his mind to take on this crazy mission and Amy came along for the ride.  I love what he says and the way he says it.  Robert F. Kennedy said, “There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”  There are plenty of people who look at an extremely run down property and say, why try to save it.  Chris looked at this ginormous challenge and with a casual shrug replied, "Why not?"     
 
Well done, Chris.  You did it, Man!
 



 

1 comment:

  1. Many couples are compelled to get help at drug rehabilitation because of deep emotional scars and social distancing caused by an overwhelming addiction. Source to know about Why Us? - Couples Recovery Rehab.

    ReplyDelete