Friday, February 10, 2012

Step 4: Clean Up the Property

Looking back on my renovation career, I can now see how being unorthodox has worked for me. Cleaning up the property is an example; most of the time, I’ve done this step before I’ve actually owned the property. That’s atypical. I get it. But so is buying houses that other people see as tear-downs. There is opportunity in being unconventional.


Like taking pictures before signing the closing documents, cleaning up the property right after taking pictures has been just another small effort to solidify my deal. It goes back to my apprehension about someone coming in and derailing my pact, convincing the sellers to make an arrangement with them rather than me.

Before
        
        The signed agreement is great, and getting permission to take pictures and video is a good sign that I’m not wasting their time. Yet, picking up trash and yard debris before I mow the overgrown grass is an even bigger demonstration that we have a deal and I intend to become the owner like I promised. Still though, like trying to get the phone number off a lost dog’s collar, I’ve been mindful to be slow and sweet so as to not scare off the sellers.

Moving ahead to Step 4 is a subtle way to let the owners know that I expect them to do their part, without coming out and saying as much. The last thing I want to do is mess things up by being pushy. I’m aware that it’s natural for people to be leery of outsiders, and in most of my closings, I’ve  been the mysterious stranger who wants to buy their super crappy house. They may initially wonder if it’s a con or some sort of scam.   

After Day One - A big step in the right direction.
I didn't own the property for a couple more weeks.
       If the owners shut me down when I ask them for permission to do Steps 3 and 4, that’s a red flag, and I know there’s something brewing that needs addressed.

Once I complete Step 4, it’s even harder for someone to renege on our deal after a relative, neighbor, or friend from church says, “I heard you’re selling your house. Do you even know that guy? I’ll match his offer.”


It's true that I’m investing time and money on the property by cleaning it up, and this will end up being a waste if we don’t go to closing. But gas for the lawn mower is minimal, and it’s never taken me more than a day to clean up a prospective site; I’m talking less than ten bucks for fuel and eight hours of labor. In this light, it’s a minor gamble but a way of me gaining assurance while also locking in my sellers a bit more. To me, starting early serves a purpose and is worth the tiny risk.

Completion
 
          The second reason to clean up the property after taking pictures and video is that you want to make it obvious that things have changed; that someone cares enough to mow and pick up trash and natural debris. Without any formal announcement, neighbors will begin to look out for you and kids will stop throwing rocks at the windows. Also, if teenagers have been hanging around late at night, they'll likely think twice and find somewhere else to listen to music and rebel. And if people have been casually throwing stuff out the window when they drive by, believe it or not they'll show some respect for a house with mowed grass and be more inclined to get rid of their garbage somewhere else.

And lastly, spiffing up the outside will make you feel better when you pull up to start working. 


No comments:

Post a Comment