Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tim Tebow is Fascinating Us Because He’s Doing the Impossible

In the wake of Denver’s playoff win in overtime this past weekend versus the widely popular Pittsburgh Steelers, it feels like everyone is talking about the Bronco's quarterback Tim Tebow.  I was an athlete growing up and in college, have always been a big sports fan, and love watching football.  Furthermore, I feel that if the Tim Tebow storyline get's my wife more interested in the sport then, as Martha Stewart says, it's a good thing.  We’ve been talking about him for months in our family, so it seems appropriate to share some thoughts here.

There are days on my renovation projects when I have contractors buzzing around the job site.  However, there are also times when I’m in the house or on the property working alone.  When no one else is around, I usually have a radio on and 90% of the time it’s tuned to a sports radio station.  This week on the Dan Patrick Show they were talking about Tim Tebow and were speculating about why people are so obsessed with him regarding the success he’s been having on the football field.  I think there are several reasons, but I believe that the root of his popularity is in the fact that he is doing things that other people have said could not be done.


As I have mentioned before (It's Possible), Blood, Sweat, and Pig’s Ears is all about doing the impossible.  That’s what the saying you can’t turn a pig’s ear into a silk purse means.  It’s a negative estimation, a prediction of impending failure.  Of all the things I’ve heard people say about the former University of Florida quarterback, I haven’t heard anyone describe him as a Pig’s Ear.  There seems to be no doubt that he’s a fine young man, an excellent role model for today’s young people, and like Katy Perry’s parents many view him as the ideal husband for their daughters.  However, what the experts said is that he wouldn’t be able to do what he’s done.  They said he couldn’t play quarterback in the NFL.  I heard them say regularly that he'd be able to play H-back or maybe tight end and they all agreed that he’d be an asset to any team because of his character and his leadership abilities.  However, over and over again they said that defenses would figure him out and that because of his throwing motion he would not be able to do what he just did this season. 
 
I don’t think that people are wrapped up in the Tim Tebow story solely because of his religious faith and ever-present convictions.  Although a huge percentage of his fan base is keyed in on his Christianity, I believe that he is also widely popular because he is doing what so many people (most especially the experts) said could not be done. 

Keep it up Tim.  Since my Cincinnati Bengals got knocked out last weekend by the Texans, I’m now pulling even more for the Broncos.  I may not be cheering as loudly as my wife, but I’m certainly enjoying your success as much as she is and am looking forward to watching you take on the Patriots this Saturday.    

No comments:

Post a Comment